- Traditional period home in a third of an acre plot
- Beautifully restored and maintained throughout
- Double garage with workshop extension and room above
- A must see property. First time to market in 20 years
A classic Sussex farmhouse with a history dating back over 500 years, having been the subject of sympathetic modernisation and improvement by the current owners, who have resided at the property for the last 20 years. Although the name farmhouse suggests a homestead of some sort, in fact the first dwelling comprised of just the sitting room and 2 rooms above, and was constructed on the orders of Lord Poynings, we believe circa 1456. The cottage was later extended about 200 years later, forming what is now the stone elevations, whereupon it became a women's work house and remained largely unchanged until the amalgamation of the local work houses in the mid nineteenth Century. By now two cottages, it was sold to the Sergison family, who owned it until 1919. Some 10 years later it was converted into a single dwelling by a local artist.
Today the accommodation and construction is all beautifully preserved and presented with all major and minor improvements completed by the present occupiers, who have in addition to the wholesale refurbishment of the house have added a glorious garden room. A full list of improvements are available from the agents offices in Cuckfield.
The house interior is in a traditional period style with exposed wall and ceiling timbers, renewed oak windows and back to back inglenooks creating the centrepiece for the principal receptions. There are 2 staircases, evidence of the previous two cottages, serving 4 first floor bedrooms and a bathroom with a further second shower room. The spacious garden room has a working hand water pump adding to the quirky and interesting nature of the building, which enjoys a gated double driveway, detached double garage with workshop behind and log store beyond. There is an internal staircase leading to a games room.
The gardens and terraces are of particular interest to the owners who have spent much enjoyable time redesigning the outside space. About 15 years ago the owners purchased a triangle of land to the east from a neighbouring farmer to extend the plot to about 0.35 of an acre.
Coos Lane is a quiet road connecting the pretty village of Slaugham with Handcross to the north. Here a High Street offers everyday shopping and a post office, butchers, newsagent, pubs etc. Slaugham itself is a hamlet with a small heart but a large beautiful church and a noted restaurant called The Heritage. There ia stunning village pond and the area is surrounded by open countryside. Access to the A23/M23 is just a few minutes drive to the north at Handcross, with Gatwick airport, The M25 and Brighton all within a 20 minute drive.